12 Questions to Ask LASIK Doctor Before LASIK Surgery
LASIK and many other vision correction procedures including SMILE and PRK are elective, meaning they are a personal choice rather than a medical necessity. Being informed about LASIK is an important part of the decision to have surgery, and the choice of a surgeon to perform it. Knowing what questions to ask before LASIK can help get you the information you need to make an educated decision.
There are many options in laser vision correction today, as well as advancements in diagnostics, technologies, and techniques. The recommendations your surgeon makes for your specific vision will inform what the cost of your procedure will be, but ultimately you will have choices to make to come up with a treatment plan and procedure price.
Fortunately, there are many ways to save and pay for laser vision correction. Again, your surgeon and his or her staff are there to help you make the most of any insurance benefits, financing options, and other approaches to making LASIK fit into your budget.
Below is a list of 12 questions to ask during your discussion with your surgeon to help you get a handle on your decision to have the LASIK procedure.
12 Questions to Ask Before LASIK Surgery
Here are 12 important questions to ask before LASIK. These are useful questions you should ask your LASIK doctor about the procedure, coverage, complications, recovery, and more.
- What is included in the cost of LASIK or other types of laser vision correction procedures?
- Is this price based upon the type of laser vision correction procedure my surgeon and I have decided, based upon the results of my consultation and evaluation, is best for my vision and lifestyle?
- Are there any additional costs not included in the price of the procedure or additional costs that I might not be thinking of?
- Does the price cover the cost of the procedure for both eyes?
- Does my insurance offer any benefits toward reducing the cost of LASIK or other laser vision correction procedures?
- Is my surgeon in-network for my medical insurance or vision insurance plan?
- Are there any prescription medications I may need that aren’t included in the cost of the procedure?
- What happens if I need a LASIK enhancement? Is this included in the price?
- What if I have a complication after LASIK? How are the costs of the follow-up visits and additional treatment handled?
- If I require temporary contact lenses or glasses after the procedure, how much will they cost?
- What if during recovery from LASIK I require additional follow-up visits beyond the quote? How much should I expect to pay for each of those visits?
- May I have a written and itemized quote that includes all of the costs associated with my procedure?
Just like understanding the benefits and risks of the procedure itself is important so is understanding the costs associated. It is best to have a clear understanding of what is (and what is not included) in the LASIK procedure before you make your decision. Knowing what questions to ask before LASIK can help you get the information you need to make your decision. A reputable LASIK practice should have no hesitation in spending time with you to answer your questions thoughtfully and with respect for your needs. If you find that is not the case, you may want to consider finding a different LASIK surgeon to work with to achieve your best, healthy vision.
The American Refractive Surgery Council keeps you up to date with the most accurate information on vision correction procedures. All articles are reviewed by our Editorial Advisory Board and given the Refractive Surgery Council Verified Seal which represents our promise that every word we share represents the highest standards in the field of refractive surgery.